Monday 18 August 2014

Hey, you over there...


Okay, I think it's about time I formally introduced someone who has been with me right from the start of this blog. Their presence is felt in many a post and I feel that they have gone too long without proper recognition and appreciation for their hard work and dedication. 

Everybody, please meet my plastic IKEA plant. 

Isn't she a beaut?
Some of you eagle-eyed readers may have spotted her lurking around in my pictures from time to time, the majority of the time; however, if you have missed her, here is some of her best work:



She's the gift that keeps on giving; although she technically wasn't a gift so, ermm yea. Anyway. Now, you may be wondering why I don't in fact own a real plant, rather than this plastic plume. If I may just divert your attention to this little post right here I think this may be all the explanation that you need. Plants just don't agree with me. 

If you're a proper blogger and want some actual advice for picture props then fear not, as I have scraped the barrel that is my brain to bring you some ideas. There are so many bits and pieces, other than plastic plants, that you can use. Feast your eyes on this list:

- Coloured or pattered paper
- Wooden flooring or pieces of wood
- Glass beads
- Shells
- Pebbles
- Flowers or flower petals
- Pine cones
- Sweeties - yum!
- Magazines or newspapers
- Scrap material or colourful scarves
- Interesting jewellery
- A cup of tea in a nice mug
- Notepads 
- If you're arty, your own illustrations
- Candles
- Your phone, tablet displaying your blog or something interesting
- Books 
- Perfume bottles
- A nice shopping bag - There are so many pretty paper ones these days
- A mirror
- Crafty items such as threads, lace, buttons, wool etc. 

There you have it guys, girls and lovers of plastic foliage, all you need to start creating some infinitely more interesting pictures than mine. 

Does anyone else have a particular prop or go-to accessory for taking blog photos?
Share:

12 comments

  1. I photograph on my chest of drawers or bedside table, and I love finding little things to decorate the picture. I usually use candles or little ornaments from around my room :)
    Maddie // itsthatplacecalledhere.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely. I'm going to head over to your blog and snoop at your pictures right after this! I love unique little props in blog pictures xxx

      Delete
  2. Such a cute little pot plant, next time I am around Ikea, I may have pick up something like this :)
    I usually have the wooden floors of my bedroom to help enhance my picture... is that weird? I think it is but it works. Sometimes I also like to just the plain white background as I find simple sometimes works best. I am looking to spice it up with some props and extra decorations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not weird at all, I've definitely photographed my floor as a backdrop before! I usually go for a white background more often than not. Thanks for commenting xxx

      Delete
  3. i never normally use props but i love it when others do so i think I'm going to look into getting some i love flower petals! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to do. I am trying to break out of my usual photo patterns and take more interesting pictures - particularly on my Instagram account. Good luck finding some lovely props xxx

      Delete
  4. Great post, thanks for sharing your ideas for props :) I love your blog and I have followed you with Bloglovin, if you ever get a chance to check out my blog I would be delighted, thanks! Best wishes.

    Camille xo

    www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I followed you back, you have some great posts! xxx

      Delete
  5. Haha - awesome post this is! Thanks for the list btw, I really needed some inspiration for my pictures ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! Glad I could be of service :) xxx

      Delete
  6. haha - I totally wasn't expecting that one!! Great post as always!

    Jenna at Tinyfootsteps xx

    ReplyDelete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig